Until 1924 this territory formed part of the Kimberley Vicariate. By a decree dated 26 November 1923, the Sacred Congregation de Propaganda Fide erected the northern half of the Orange Free State into a Prefecture and entrusted its care to the German Province of the Holy Ghost Fathers. On 24 March 1924, the Very Rev Leo Klerlein, CSSp, was appointed rst Prefect Apostolic. On 8 April 1935, Kroonstad was constituted a Vicariate and Mgr Klerlein appointed rst Vicar Apostolic.
In February 1948 the Eastern part was separated and constituted as the Bethlehem Vicariate; the Western part kept the name of Kroonstad Vicariate. In March 1948, Rt. Rev Mgr G Van Velsen, OP was appointed Apostolic Administrator of this territory which was entrusted to the Dominican Fathers of the Dutch Province.
When the Ecclesiastical Hierarchy was established in South Africa on 11 January 1951, the Vicariate became known as the Diocese of Kroonstad.
e Diocese of Kroonstad occupies … square metres, stretching from Winburg on the southern part of the Diocese to Sasolburg on the Northern part; Heilbron on the Eastern border and Hoopstad on its western border. e Diocese of Kroonstad is on the Western part of the Orange Free State covering the district of Lejwe-Leputswa, Nala, Setsoto. e Diocese consists of 32 parishes and few outsta- tions on the farming areas throughout and mining areas.